Properly prepared granite does not require frequent conservation. It is important, however, to be aware of a few reasons which can negatively influence the aesthetics of granite products. The appearance of granite surfaces may be spoilt by stains.
The are caused by:
- granite chemical compounds being activated under the influence of persistent moisture
- pollution of the base and mortars (metal filings, organic substances, etc.)
- improper mortar and grout
- construction technological errors (uncovered reinforcing bars, etc.)
- contamination caused by the wrong exploitation and cleaning (improper cleaners)
- calcium efflorescence in leaking places